Crime Victim Project Legal Assistant
Children’s Law Center, Inc. seeks a full-time Legal Assistant for its important Crime Victim Project. The CVP is funded by Kentucky Justice Cabinet through the federal Victims of Crime Act. The CVP LA reports to the Crime Victim Project Administrator.
Duties and Responsibilities
For victims of crime, the Legal Assistant will:
* Conduct client intake via telephone or in-person interviews
* Schedule appointments between clients and case-related individuals and attorneys
* Communicate with clients and family members/legal guardians
* Refer clients to other service providers for support services for crime victims
* Create and maintain case files for clients, input data related to legal cases into management software, and other administrative tasks as assigned
* Complete required time and attendance sheets, programmatic documentation, reports, and statistics
* Gather information relevant to clients’ cases
* Draft correspondence and legal documents under supervision of attorneys
* Communicate with other legal professionals and court personnel regarding cases
* Assist other project staff in outreach and community education efforts
* Assist attorneys in preparing for court hearings
* Accompany attorneys to court when needed
* Maintain strict client confidentiality
* Complete other tasks as assigned
The Legal Assistant should:
* Have strong communication skills, both written and verbal
* Have excellent interpersonal skills
* Be comfortable working with youth who have experienced trauma
* Have excellent organizational and problem-solving skills
* Have strong computer skills and excellent attention to detail
* Be a self-starter and resourceful in developing and carrying out activities
* Be able to take initiative and work independently, as well as in a team
* Have a commitment to social justice, particularly rights of youth
* Be comfortable with viewing sensitive and, at times, explicit information
The Legal Assistant would ideally:
* Possess a background or experience with vulnerable populations (e.g. victims of abuse)
Instructions for Applying
Please send cover letter, resume, three references, and salary requirements to email@example.com. Please note “Crime Victim Project Legal Assistant” in subject line. Benefits include 403(b), flexible spending benefit, long-term disability, and life insurance.
Law Clerk - Summer 2019
Children’s Law Center, Inc. (CLC) is accepting applications for its 2019 Summer Program. This is a unpaid internship.
Law students will have the opportunity to work on individual cases and advocacy in the following substantive areas: education, juvenile justice, custody, child victim legal assistance, civil rights actions, and youth re-entry civil legal services.
Students will assist attorneys with various tasks, including but not limited to legal research, drafting motions and memoranda, client intake and interviews. Students will have opportunities to observe court hearings.
To apply, please send your cover letter, resume, writing sample and transcript to Denise T. Durbin, Crime Victim Project Attorney, at firstname.lastname@example.org .